Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Legacy.

Currently: freezing! Sitting in front the air conditioner will do that.... unfortunately, it's either sit here or be toasty warm in the rest of the house. 

This last Sunday, I had the opportunity to share a little bit about my new adventure at Pittsgrove Baptist Church in South Jersey. This place holds a lot of history for my family as my great-grandparents grew up attending and serving in this congregation. In that same tradition, my grandmother grew up here, my father grew up here... even I remember running up the back stairs to the best seat in the house (the sound loft) since about age 5. (My favorite part was helping my grandpa erase the cassette tapes so that they could be used again for another service... and playing with the broken golf ball he had up there.) For those of you that know my family, you can see God has not broken the mold from one generation to the next...

I attempted to showcase a bit of this history at the beginning of my presentation by the showing of this picture (circa 1971). 


Unfortunately, it didn't show up well Sunday night, so I figured I would display it here as well :) 

I show this photo to slightly embarrass the people in it, but also to connect to my place in the family history. This was a time that my dad was very into scouts, CEF,  and anticipating youth group in another couple years. When I was 11, I was experiencing new cultures as a missionary kid in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.


And it was that experience that has led to this new adventure at Bingham Academy. But none of it would be possible without the legacy that has been passed down from the generations above: a legacy of dedicating our lives in service to our God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment