Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Weekend at the Beach

Currently reading: Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry


Finishing up the first week of SIMGo brought a much-needed break. Not to say that it hasn't been a great time here- it has! But having some time to process everything is definitely a necessary part of the experience and I had the privilege to do so at the beach :)

Through a mutual connection, I was invited to come hang out at the beach with one of my future Bingham colleagues~ more specifically, my fellow English teacher, Alyssa! She was so gracious to invite me to be a part of her family vacation, which meant I not only met her kind husband and sweet boys, but a caring Nana, Aunt, Uncle and cousins too! It was so nice to have the chance to talk about Bingham and what it looks like now, the changes in Addis that have occurred in the past number of years, the experience of TCKs on and off the mission field- not to mention, finding some time to relax as well. 

Holden Beach, NC


We fought the wind and  the waves at the beach, stuffed our faces with Mexican food for lunch, and attempted to eat our ice cream in spite of the fierce wind. The boys and I wanted to have our ice cream on the porch of the quaint ocean-front store. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing so hard that it proceeded to melt the ice cream all over our arms and faces. Thus, though the view wasn't nearly the same, we enjoyed the ice cream much better inside the store. 
I spent some time hearing about Bingham from current fourth and eighth graders, heard some family stories from their loving Nana, talked curriculum and support raising- we almost covered every topic! The best parts were hearing the earnest bedtime prayers, worshipping together by song and thanksgiving, and enjoying the new friendships formed. 


 I was so blessed by this family and their hospitality and grateful to them for taking me in! I am so looking forward to serving in Ethiopia together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment